You know how it works – there are some days that you’re just not going to make it to the gym, or out for a run. Sometimes, life takes over. And that’s ok! The key is to make activity part of your daily life as much as possible, so that the line between “I’m working out” and “I’m on the couch” is as blurred as it can be. Depending on the type of day you have ahead of you, it is possible to include strength training, some cardio and flexibility just by going through your daily activities.
Here are fourteen ways that you can include activity into your day-to-day lifestyle, without going near your sports bra.
- Stretch it out as soon as you wake up.
- Do 30 lunges while waiting for the kettle to boil.
- Stand on one foot while brushing your teeth (don’t forget to alternate legs though!)
- Walk (your pet, boyfriend or cactus) around the block.
- Exercise your kegel muscles in the traffic or on public transport (no one will know!).
- Park a block away from work and walk the rest of the way – why grab the closest spot?
- Walk and talk, instead of sitting down to indoor meetings.
- Have an active lunch – grab a friend and go for a walk, lift a few heavy things or stretch it out.
- Practice some desk yoga.
- Everytime you go to the bathroom (which when you drink lots of water is… all the time) do 20 air squats.
- Take a hike to watch the sunset after work.
- Put vintage pop songs on and dance around the kitchen while making supper (Eye of the Tiger, anyone?)
- When an ad break interrupts your TV program, do 20 sit ups.
- Practice mindfulness to relax your way towards sleep (exercising your miiiind, y’all).
And there you have it! While working out in a more conventional sense is important, try to include some sort of activity every day. And tell us below – how do you include exercise in your day?
Leave a Comment