Sometimes there is something other than yourself standing in the way of accomplishing your goals. This week I would like to tell you something about my horrible thyroid and the (medical) struggle I have with achieving my goals. This article is about thyroid disorders. I have a thyroid disorder myself, and in this article I’ll explain what it is and how it is affecting my life.
What the bleep is a thyroid?!
The thyroid is a small butterfly-shaped gland in the front of your neck, it makes thyroid hormones. Thyroid hormones travel from the thyroid gland through the blood to all parts of your body. Thyroid hormones help your organs to work properly. They control how your body uses food for energy. Thyroid hormones affect your metabolism rate, which means how fast or slow your brain, heart, muscles, liver, and other parts of your body work. If your body works too fast or too slowly, you won’t feel well.
Here are some symptoms of an underactive thyroid:
- Feeling tired and cold
- Having a slow heart rate and dry skin
- Being constipated
- Gaining weight even though you’re not eating more or exercising less than usual
- Hair loss
The symptoms of an overactive thyroid include:
- Feeling nervous and irritable
- Having trouble concentrating
- Feeling too warm even when other people don’t feel warm
- Having a fast heart rate and diarrhea
- Having trouble sleeping
- Losing weight without trying
Leave a Comment