In Happy foods PART 1, I gave examples of probiotic-rich foods and a drink! This was the exotic kombucha tea which you can make yourself, awesomeness! There are health benefits when drinking this tea, so I decided to post the recipe of this probiotic-rich food: Kombucha Tea!
Probiotic-rich drink: Kombucha Tea
Kombucha tea is made of a kombucha “mushroom” mother, that’s called a SCOBY. This special tea contains microorganisms that empowers the intestinal flora and the immune system. This means not only a better digestion but also a better defense against disease-makers. Something we can all use in our lives!
- 2 liters of water
- 10 grams of green or black tea
- 200g sugar
- 50 ml Kombucha (or cider vinegar)
- 1 Kombucha mushroom
You can find these ingredients at an organic store.
- 1 large, glass jar with a capacity of 2.5 to 3 liter
- cheesecloth (or a tea towel)
- rubber band
- plastic funnel with sieve
- empty glass bottles with caps (4 pieces of 0.5 liters)
- Boil 500 ml of the water in a pan.
- Leave the tea in it for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags / loose tea and dissolve the sugar in the tea water.
- Pour the hot tea in the large glass jar and pour the remaining 1.5 liters (cold) water.
- Make sure the water is not too hot; it may be up to 40 degrees Celsius (if the water is doesn’t feel too warm it’s good).
- Pour 50 ml Kombucha (or apple vinegar) to the sweet tea in the pot and place the Kombucha mushroom gently in it.
- Put the cheese cloth (or tea towel) on the pot and secure it with the rubber band. This way there is still oxygen in the drink, but no dust.
- Put the jar in a dark place, at room temperature or slightly warmer than that.
- Let the kombucha ferment between 7 and 14 days.
- After 7 days you will see that a new mushroom has formed on the drink. Gently insert a straw underneath and take a sip of the drink: it tastes too sweet, leave the drink to ferment for a few more days.
- Take both the new and the old mushroom from the drink and put them in a deep plate containing a little of the drink so they’ll remain in good condition.
- Put the funnel with sieve into an empty glass bottle and pour the drink through it. Fill all bottles this way.
- Put the bottles kombucha that are ready to be used in the refrigerator.
- Now you create a new batch of kombucha the same way! The extra mushroom you keep in another pot with a layer of kombucha or you can give it away to someone else (or make more kombucha tea yourself, yay!)
Want your Kombucha flavored? Add a layer of fresh fruit juice (100% fruit) to the empty glass bottles before you fill this with the already fermented Kombucha. Let these bottles in a dark place for a few days; after a 4-5 days the fruit sugars are also fermented; so you’ve made your own healthy lemonade. Don’t forget to open the bottles daily to let the extra gas out so there will not be too much pressure on the bottles.
I’d recommend to use glass bottles to make this tea, use real tea and real sugar, the kombucha mushroom needs it to live. Don’t drink too much, let your body get used to the tea and it’s benefits!
Now it’s time to enjoy it your kombucha tea!
Leave a Comment